Need Help? Call us now

01922 455727

Dropside, Scaffold & Flatbed


Curtain Sider

Home » New Guidelines & Regulations For Drivers

New Guidelines & Regulations For Drivers

It is not easy keeping up with the new rules of driving, and 2021 sees more changes in driving regulations than ever before. Here we will look at the new UK driving regulations and rules for driving in the EU.

Before we delve into the driving regulations, we share a few more general changes. This year the UK will see E10 fuel at petrol stations. This is cleaner petrol that will help reduce carbon emissions. The MOT extension in response to COVID-10 ends.

We are also expecting to see the approval of Automatic Lane Keeping Systems (ALKS). ALKS keep vehicles in their lane automatically at low speeds. We will see green number plates on zero-emission and electric cars, and as we look ahead to 2022, we will see speed limiters introduced. Known as Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA), these will become mandatory on new cars and alert the driver if they are speeding and then intervene if they do not slow down.

UK Driving Law Changes

The two most important changes to UK driving regulations in 2021 relate to Low Emission Zones and mobile phone use.

Low Emission Zones charge high-emissions vehicles for entering designated areas of high population. There will be no charge for Euro 6 rated diesel vehicles in Birmingham or Euro 4 rated petrol vehicles. The charge is £8 per day for cars and £50 per day for HGVs. The boundary is the A4540 Middleway Ring Road.

London’s Ultra Low Emission Zone is extended with the A205 (South Circular Road) and the A406 (North Circular Road) as boundaries. This change in driving regulations takes effect from 25th October 2021 and their daily charge for HGVs is £100 per day.

In March 2021, in Bath and spring in Bristol, charges will apply on the same rules as Birmingham. In summer 2021, Oxford will charge all vehicles that are not zero emissions.

Driving regulations for mobile phone use now include a £200 fine and six penalty points for holding your phone or sat nav while driving. The road safety rules stop people from playing games, flicking through playlists, and using social media while driving. 

Brexit Impact On Drivers

Driving in the EU after Brexit means conforming to several new driving regulations. You will need a green card, your driving licnece, and a GB sticker on your vehicle’s number plate.

You should factor in plenty of time to get your green card from your insurance provider or lease provider. This card is proof of insurance.

If you remain in the EU for less than 12 months, you will also need your V5C logbook. If your vehicle is leased, you will need a VE103 form that confirms you have permission to take the vehicle out of the UK. You will also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) if you have a paper driving licence and not a photocard driving licence. You will also need an IDP for non-EU countries, and you can purchase these at a Post Office.

Our Manufacturers